Saturday, February 9, 2019

Julian Bonds Lecture on Brown vs. Board of Education :: Julian Bond Race Affirmative Action

Loose Ends Still Untied Aurora is not know to be the greatest town in the suburbs of Chicago, so it is a normal move for the people from my side of town to claim residence in Naperville. I will be the first to admit that I welcome often betrayed my hometown and laid claim to its relatively glamorous neighbor. Naperville is one of the artlesss best places to raise a family, or so I have heard. I wouldnt be too surprised, considering the amount of wealthiness that flows through the town. Naperville offers a mix of people, professionals and their families of assorted ethnicities and backgrounds however, it lacks confessedly culture diversity. counterbalance though there argon whites, blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, Japanese, Indians, etc., some of its youths are conscious of the various backgrounds because of the economic equality of everyone everyone is equally rich in Naperville (a point of which I and my fellow Aurorans regularly accused our Naperville schoolmates). M y superior school consisted of a bonnie racial blend, and despite a few cultural cliques, everyone was White in thought and in wallet. I did not hold this view at the time, but I had yet to be exposed to reality then. When I came to the University of Illinois, I was accompanied by a significant force of my towering school peers, including all but two of my closest friends. During the first few weeks of school, when everybody was meeting everybody else, I was busy hanging out with my standard high school group and, thus, missed much of the opportunity to make a bounty of new friends. I did, however, meet one person who has operate my closest friend and who sparked my introduction to reality. I went to visit him over kick break. It was a Friday, a little past noon. My friend lives around seventy-fifth Street, a block from Lake Michigan. For everyone who isnt from the area, I was right in the midst of a very black south side of Chicago neighborhood. When his fuss foun d out I was coming to do lunch, she asked him, Why are you making this boy come out here? My friend responded straight off Mom, hes not afraid of black people. This was a true statement I never had feared anyone because of race, but his mother instinctively knew, unconnected my friend and me, that his hometown and my hometown were polar opposites.

No comments:

Post a Comment